[PlanetCCRMA] sound issues hw:0 already used follow-up

J Sevy jsevy at cs.drexel.edu
Thu Nov 29 09:22:46 2007

Hi,
just wanted to post a solution that worked for me after receiving the
"hw:0 in use" error message:
"the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the
application using it and run JACK again"
which occured when I tried to start Ardour in Fedora 7.

After reading some posts, I went looking to turn off the Gnome sound
server, and found that it was easily disabled:
System->Preferences->Hardware->Sound
brings up a dialog in which the "Sounds" pane has a checkbox labelled
"Enable software sound mixing (ESD)".
Un-checking this item allowed Ardour (and JACK) to start.

Hope this helps,
  \
  Jon

bash-3.2# ardour
Ardour/GTK 0.99.3
   (built using 1.4.1 with libardour 0.908.2 and GCC version 4.1.1
20070105 (Red Hat 4.1.1-52))
Copyright (C) 1999-2006 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel
Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
jackd 0.102.20
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the
application using it and run JACK again
cannot load driver module alsa
no message buffer overruns
ardour: [ERROR]: Unable to connect to JACK server
ardour: [ERROR]: Could not connect to JACK server as  "ardour"
ardour: [ERROR]: Could not connect to JACK server as  "ardour"

              Jonathan Sevy
  Geometric and Intelligent Computing Lab
            Drexel University
     http://gicl.cs.drexel.edu/sevy