[PlanetCCRMA] ZynAddSubFx problem on Fedora 7

Nigel Henry cave.dnb@tiscali.fr
Mon Sep 3 14:12:01 2007

For the first time with a Fedora install I left Selinux as Enforcing on my
Fedora 7 install.

Before installing any planetccrma stuff, I installed Jack-audio-connection
-kit, Qjackctl, and ZynAddsubFx. ZynAddSubFx is consuming 100% CPU, and is
dificult to close without a CTRL+ALT+ESC, and a click on the mouse pointer of
death. other music apps, Phasex, Horgand, Soundtracker, Hydrogen, etc, work
with no problems.

When I start Qjackctl, and jack, it's messages show loads of xruns, and
nothing else is running. All a bit strange, as on FC5 I start Zyn and there
are zero xruns, but I have the planetccrma kernel installed, and packages
that come with it from planetccrma-core.

So I install planetccrma-core once I've got the correct URL
in /etc/apt/sources.list. I still have Selinux set as enforcing, and the
packages install ok, but there are 2 PAM files that are saved as RPM new's.
/etc/pam.d/system-auth  (I can't change this, as it says it's automatically
recreated on reboot)
/etc/security/limits.conf   (not sure what do here)

I open Qjackctl, and start Jack, but realtime won't play ball.

Anyway. I su to root on the CLI, and start Qjackctl, and start Jack, open
another CLI, and start ZynAddSubFx. Now Jack is running in realtime, but
still ZynAddSubFx is consuming CPU cycles, and I have problems shutting it
down.

Interestingly if I SSH into Fedora 7 from my other machine, having started
Jackd on the F7 machine, and then start ZynAddSubFx from the CLI on the FC2
machine, it works ok, apart from all the xruns.

I can't say I'm too impressed with Fedora 7, but any suggestions how to
resolve the problem will as always be very welcome.

Thanks for your help Fernando in initially getting the sounds working on FC1.
Things have moved on a bit, but I appreciate the help you gave.

Nigel.