[PlanetCCRMA] max-user-freq in rc.local

Tracey Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Sun Sep 23 04:02:01 2007

Hi, I have fedora 6 and 7 on my machine and decided I am going to boot into fedora 7 from now on.  I used to stay in fc6 most of the time, doing updates to fedora 7 via chroot.

I've done some testing on 7 and found I like it a lot.  It seems to be take my usual torture test of dragging a 1280x1024 wine session of world of warcraft (openGL) around the screen while checking the audio system(jack at 5.8msec latency(128/2 on audiophile 2496) running a hydrogen demo).  I used the rtlimits trick of of giving realtime to a group that I'm in, but not the one that the user of the wine session is in.

So,

I had noticed that "/proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" on another machine was set to 64 and went over to my fedora 6/7 box to get the "/etc/rc.local" thing where I set the max-user-freq to 1024.  Since I was now running fedora 7 I checked "rc.local" and saw that I hadn't set it up.  So I go to /proc/sys/dev onthe f7 box and find there is no rtc.  Instead I find that I have a "/proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq" that says it's set to 64.

Now, after all of the above intro, I have a question.

Should I change the hpet/max-user-freq from 64 to 1024?

Tracey.