[PlanetCCRMA] Problem with jack

Len lenb_99 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 06:16:44 PDT 2008

Hi,

I recently did a fresh install of Fedora 8 from a Unity Project re-spin.  It's installed on an AMD Athlon X2 with 2GB RAM, but I installed the 32-bit (i386) OS.  I'm using an Echo Layla24 PCI card, which I have set up in modules.conf as sound-card-0 (I disabled the onboard HDA Intel sound chip in the BIOS).   I then installed the planet ccrma kernel (kernel-rt-2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc8.ccrma.i686) and my favorite sound applications.

In jack (Qjackctl), I have it set to use RT, 128 frames/period, 48000 sample rate, 2 periods/buffer, 8 input/8 output channels, etc.  I started up echomixer (to control hardware levels on Layla 24), qjackctl, and zynaddsubfx to try out a little midi and audio using an external keyboard controller connected to Layla's MIDI IN port.

When jack starts, the message window says "Enhanced 3DNow! detected" and "Using SSE2", but the status window (main qjackctl panel) has the "RT" indicator light alternately flashing on, then off, then on, then off, ...   I don't remember seeing this behavior before.  Then after some time, jack just shuts down.  At one point, while playing a synth patch from zynaddsubfx and multiple keys/fast passage, it just locked up with a very annoying constant tone (incoming! take cover!).

Just for reference, I tried installing Fedora 7 (stock as well as ccrma-rt) on this hardware setup and had so many problems I decided to give F8 a try.  In F7, eth0 would mysteriously go down (IRQ released), the soundcard and alsa would randomly disconnect (IRQ again?), etc.

I'll try and get some more output from dmesg, /proc/asound/, etc that might be of more assistance, but I wondered if anyone had seen the "RT" indicator light going on and off like this in qjackctl?

Thanks,
Len