[PlanetCCRMA] PulseAudio/Avahi

Len lenb_99 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 13:52:52 PDT 2008

I notice there's a new sound server (PulseAudio) included with Fedora 8.  It uses the avahi-daemon to facilitate discovery on a network.  It's generating this error on booting the 2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc8.ccrmart kernel (x86_64):

pulseaudio[3031]: polkit.c: Failed to show grant dialog: Unable to lookup exe for caller
pulseaudio[3031]: polkit.c: PolicyKit responded with 'auth_admin_keep_always'
pulseaudio[3031]: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
pulseaudio[3031]: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
pulseaudio[3031]: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
pulseaudio[3031]: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted

I took a look at the man pages for PolicyKit, but I'm still not sure how to fix this.  How do I make PulseAudio a member of group 'pulse-rt' ?