[PlanetCCRMA] Why CentOS?

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Apr 7 06:42:21 PDT 2008

Good question, and I hope I'll keep the flame war from starting.

<Linux Administrator hat on (I.E. "Day Job")>

Fedora is roughly on a 6 month life cycle. In other words, a newer
distro is available roughly every 6 months, i.e. 9 is out now, only
roughly 2 years after 6. During this life cycle process, the core of
distro, mainly the kernel version, glibc, and a few other packages will
and have changed. After 3 versions have been released (roughly 1 1/2
years), the oldest version(s) of Fedora go "legacy" and development
seems to all but stop, i.e. Fedora 9 is about to be released and when it
does, Fedora 6 will go legacy.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraSummit/ReleaseProcess

Contrast this to the release cycle of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It's
release cycle is roughly 3 years, and the life/support cycle is 7 years.
During this life cycle, security updates, patches, and what not will be
applied, but the core of the distro, the kernel version, glibc, etc will
not change in version. This creates a very stable enterprise class
distribution. For example, the life/support cycle of RHEL 4:
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_61_7357.shtm

CentOS is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux and is compliant with the
GPL of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=2
http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=13

</Linux Administrator hat off>

<Small Business/Studio Owner hat on (I.E. "Night Job")>

For me personally, in my business, I need a distro that is on a more
stable release schedule than Fedora for my Audio workstations. My office
machines run Fedora as they need the "bleeding edge" software updates,
like Pidgin and Open Office.

As I like the packaging method of Planet CCRMA and the mailing list has
been incredibly helpful, I wanted to stay with Planet CCRMA. The
discussion of getting Planet CCRMA and CentOS working together started
sometime last year (summer maybe?), at least to my knowledge. It appears
that more than I have a desire to make it work. And sometime later
Fernando and Arnauld picked up that task and thought it was a good idea
(now I'm not sure if they thought of it first or someone on the list).
The cool part is, if it can start working on CentOS, then there is a
chance those that want to purchase RHEL will be able to get it working
as well.

</Small Business/Studio Owner hat off>

I can't speak for anyone else on the list, but this is why I am looking
into CentOS.

HTH