[PlanetCCRMA] SOLVED - Seq24 Crashes, EnergyXT2 Not Working in Fedora Core 8

Nexxus Six nexxusix at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 02:38:43 PDT 2008

To: Fernando (Planet CCRMA) and Jorgen
(EnergyXT2):

Tonight I have finally have both Seq24
and EnergyXT2 working fully functional in Fedora Core 8 running
Planet CCRMA's realtime kernel.

In the interest of documenting my work,
and what I have done, I am writing both lists tonight with the same
details, so I don't have to repeat a lot of information. So, from
memory, here's what I've done with my system in the past 24 hours or
so...

This may sound a bit irrelevant, but
one of the applications I had recently uninstalled from my system was
the game Vega Strike. I had the feeling that the reason that neither
Seq24 nor EnergyXT2 was unable to work (Seq24 crashing when trying to
edit a cell, and EnergyXT2 freezing when prompted to play) was
because of certain development libraries missing from my system. I
was unable to install any of the -devel libraries until after I
uninstalled Vega Strike. Now, I'm not blaming Vega Strike as being
the culprit, it just seems as though I was unable to add the packages
until I deleted Vega Strike from my system.

After the deletion of Vega Strike, I
was finally able to add the following packages to my system:
gtk+-devel – 1:1.2.10-59.fc8.i386
gtk+extra-devel – 2.1.1-7.fc8.i386
gtk2-devel – 2.12.5-1.fc8.i386
gtkmm24-devel – 2.12.3-1.fc8.i386

I then was able to successfully compile
Seq24 from source code, and now have a fully functional version of
Seq24 working on my system. Prior to this, the ./configure in Seq24
was complaining that my Gtkmm-2.4 was not the proper version. I knew
this was caused by not having the proper -devel files installed.

Prior to this I had also installed:
glibmm24 – 2.14.2-1.fc8.i386
glibmm24-devel – 2.14.2-1.fc8.i386

I then compiled jack.cpp for
EnergyXT2's JACK version of libamm.so, and now I have a working
version of EnergyXT2 running in JACK. I had to install the usual GCC,
GCC-C++, GCC-Objc, GCC-Objc++, glib, glib-devel, glib2, glib2-devel,
glibc, glibc-common, glibc-devel, glibc-headers libraries to
correctly compile the (now working) libaam.so file.

Repositories Used:
InstallMedia – Fedora Core 8
fedora – Fedora i386
livna – Livna for Fedora Core 8 –
i386 – Base
planetccrma – Planet CCRMA 8 -386
planetcore – Planet CCRMA Core 8 –
i386
updates – Fedora 8 – i386 –
Updates

If either one of you, Fernando or
Jorgen, (or anybody on either of the lists) needs any additional
information, I will try to provide as much as I can.

Question: Is it possible for you as
developers of software to somehow include all of the extra libraries
and whatnot that I had to install in order to get all of this working
“out of the box” per se? It just seems like a lot of extra work
for something that should run otherwise... I'm not complaining here,
but it would be nice if the install program could be a little more
verbose in its requirements. Seq24, for example, installed with no
problems from Fedora's RPM Installer, but made no indications that I
was going to need a lot of -devel and other low-level support
libraries and applications. I guess this is something that Windows
Users take for granted...

One thing I noticed was the size
difference in Seq24 after I recompiled it... going from 330k, to
nearly 4.5Mb in size. What accounts for the difference?

At any rate, everything is now working,
and I'm going to finally get back to doing what I love the most:
Making some music! :-)

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Screenshot: http://www.geocities.com/nexxusix/working_studio_small.jpg

Cheers,