[PlanetCCRMA] (OT) yum dependency problems following power cut

Mon Aug 11 00:48:02 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 19:17 +0100, Michael TD Nelson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I apologise for the off-topic nature of this question, but I could do
> with some help.This list has always been incredibly helpful to me in the
> past.
>
> I'm using Fedora 9 with the PlanetCCRMA repository enabled. I'm also
> using a repository for Adobe Flash PLayer, and one called kriehn.repo,
> which I think is being used to install enlightenment.
>
> Last time I was doing a 'yum update', the power to my machine was cut
> halfway through. I suspect this may have caused the problems which I am
> having now.

Just in case you should (I think) check first if you have duplicated
packages installed.

You can do that with "package-cleanup --dupes", package-cleanup is part
of the yum-utils package. If you have duplicated packages you have to
try to remove the redundant ones (the older ones probably).

That would be my starting point...

> Here are the last few lines of output from today's 'yum update',
> followed by a couple of other commands which I thought might be
> relevant. Has anyone got any suggestions for me?
>
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> 1:perl-Module-Pluggable-3.60-30.fc9.i386 from installed has depsolving
> problems
>   --> Missing Dependency: perl = 4:5.10.0-30.fc9 is needed by package
> 1:perl-Module-Pluggable-3.60-30.fc9.i386 (installed)
> glibc-2.8-3.i686 from installed has depsolving problems
>   --> Missing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.8-3 is needed by package
> glibc-2.8-3.i686 (installed)
> Error: Missing Dependency: perl = 4:5.10.0-30.fc9 is needed by package
> 1:perl-Module-Pluggable-3.60-30.fc9.i386 (installed)
> Error: Missing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.8-3 is needed by package
> glibc-2.8-3.i686 (installed)

Hmmm, yes, probably you have a "halfway" updated system.
Do a "package-cleanup --problems" to see what are your current dependency problems.

> [root at localhost ~]# yum list perl
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> Installed Packages
> perl.i386                                4:5.10.0-30.fc9
> installed
> Available Packages
> perl.i386                                4:5.10.0-31.fc9        updates
>
> [root at localhost ~]# yum list glibc-common
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> Installed Packages
> glibc-common.i386                        2.8-3
> installed
> Available Packages
> glibc-common.i386                        2.8-8                  updates

What if you do a "yum list glibc*"?