[PlanetCCRMA] Upgrading a PlanetCCRMA box

Julius Smith jos at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Aug 13 07:24:52 PDT 2008

I have a log of my upgrade from F7 to F8 here:

  http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/mycomputers/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Fedora.html

Most of the time was spent temporarily removing packages that had
dependency problems.

- jos

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 8:29 PM, steve linabery <slinabery at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
>> <nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

>>> I think I updated my f7 laptop to f8 using yum. I don't remember exactly
>>> what I did :-( There are some guides online that tell you what to do, I
>>> seem to remember I followed one. If you google you will find several...
>>>
>>> One in the fedoraproject site is here:
>>>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
>>>
>>> I do remember I did it from runlevel 3 (not in a full X login but a text
>>> console). Safer that way just in case something messes up X during the
>>> upgrade.
>>>
>>> -- Fernando

>> This may be obvious, but be sure to back up your home directories (and
>> any relevant config files in /etc, etc.). I've never had a yum upgrade
>> complete successfully. And I've had a few anaconda-based upgrades fail
>> miserably as well.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Steve
>>

> I used yum to go from 4 to 7 (on a box without CCRMA), and preupgrade
> to go from 7 to 9.  No real problems with either.  I was really just
> wondering if should disable any repos before doing the upgrade, but so
> far no one is recommending that.
>
> I'm not sure if I'll do it though, since my F7/CCRMA box is working
> very well at the moment.

"Anybody who knows all about nothing knows everything" -- Leonard Susskind