[PlanetCCRMA] F8 audio setup works with standard kernel but not in RT...

Preston C. gprestonc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 19:52:46 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 20:20 -0500, Preston C. wrote:
>> I cannot get a single midi signal when I use the RT kernel with F8.
>> When I use the standard kernels it works but the sound cracks a lot
>> when playing the piano. Fernando, I know you said that this may not be
>> a kernel problem. If it is or is not a kernel problem, either way,
>> then can someone guide me in the right direction? Thanks a lot for
>> help.
>
> It appears to be a kernel problem. But the problems I have personally
> seen with MIDI are with the newer rt kernels, not with the default one
> in Fedora 8.
>
> Hmmm..... what to do?
>
> There is one more kernel you could try I guess. If you go to:
>
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetcore/testing/8/i386/repoview/kernel-rt.html
>
> you will see currently three kernels sitting there. The 2.6.26.x kernels
> do have a MIDI problem so I would probably skip those. But the third
> down based on 2.6.24.7 should not have the particular problem _I_ saw
> (it might still not work with your card...).
>
> So, click on the third kernel package and download it manually to your
> computer. Open up a terminal, su root and install it with:
>
>  rpm -ivh kernel-rt-2.6.24.7-1.rt21.1.fc8.ccrma.i686.rpm
>
> (NOT with -Uvh, just -ivh)
> Reboot into it and good luck...
>
> -- Fernando

Fernando, more bad news. Yes, I have come to think that I am unlucky
when it comes to audio in Linux- It will not let me download the
kernel. Perhaps I could try the mirrors? The thing is I have always
had trouble installing CCRMA using the regular setup, and have had to
type in the mirrors in my CCRMA repo file to replace the standard
download site.