[PlanetCCRMA] RT kernel, jack, freebob

Adam Swift vikeul at omnitude.net
Wed Dec 10 15:10:50 PST 2008

Len <lenb_99 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, I guess the easiest fix is to buy a firewire ExpressCard with a
> TI chipset for the laptop?  According to Presonus, a StarTech
> EC13942 should do it:

If you can find one, that sounds perfect.

> If I do go that route, should I then disable the onboard (Ricoh)
> firewire device?  I'm not exactly sure how to do that - would I do
> it in the BIOS and/or elsewhere?

That's probably a good idea, otherwise you might get strange
conflicts. I imagine it would be in the BIOS as most BIOSs I've seen
allow you to disable all the controllers on the board individually. It
just might take a bit of poking around to find it :P

> Does it also make sense to disable the onboard sound (HDA Intel), or
>  does it not really matter?

Probably doesn't matter. I'd only bother if you get problems.

> Thanks again for the info!

No worries. Here's what I do for rtirq, too, which is important:
http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/IRQ_Threading_and_Priorities
Although seeing the only audio I use is the firepod, I could probably
run jack at 74 or 69 and it would be even better... I'm not sure
exactly what "snd" is so perhaps 69 would be safest.

Adam