[PlanetCCRMA] video audio issues update

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Wed Feb 20 12:33:00 2008

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2008 07:29, Tom Poe wrote:
>
>> I am on the FC8 $ uname -r
>> 2.6.23.15-137.fc8PAE  kernel
>>
>> I ran the command:
>> ]$ ffmpeg -f video4linux2 -s 320x240 -i /dev/video0 -f oss -ac 2 -i
>> /dev/dsp -f mp4 testsync.mp4
>>
>> and created a video that is satisfactory for youtube consumption:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW366sD36Mk
>>
>> I followed the steps Nigel suggested to back out uvcvideo module with
>> rmmod uvcvideo
>> which put the webcam as plugged in, audio running, but no video.  Then I
>> ran modprobe uvcvideo, which loaded after audio, so webcam functional.
>> There still is no sound from webcam microphone, but I can get fairly
>> good sync with the plugin microphone I have, using /dev/dsp and oss.
>>
>> In searching, I found a little info on my webcam, Logitech Quickcam Pro
>> 9000.  Nothing clear to indicate anyone has their audio webcam feature
>> working, though.  Camera is too new, I guess.
>> Tom
>>

> Hi Tom. As I've said. it would be nice to have the camera, and try out various
> options. be that as it may, how about this.
>
> Boot up with the camera plugged in. Then do a rmmod uvcvideo, followed by a
> rmmod snd-usb-audio. Now the camera is plugged in, but both video, and sound
> are not available.
>
> >From what I saw on Google the sound needs to be started first for this camera,
> so let's do it this way now.
>
> modprobe snd-usb-audio
> followed by
> modprobe uvcvideo
>
> Just clutching at straws, and I doubt if it will work, but worth a try all the
> same.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

Nigel:  The driver needs to catch up to the kernel.  The camera is only
a few months old, so between the newness of the camera, and the driver
module still in flux, it's not yet part of the kernel (I think they're
waiting for a couple driver patches to do whatever in the field).  At my
end, since I'm in trouble with working between different kernels, and
not knowing what install procedures will ensure all kernels can use the
same configuration setup, it's really hard to troubleshoot.  My car's in
storage for the duration, here in Iowa.  I'm a cardiac cripple, so don't
do that shoveling thingy.  :)  When the weather turns, I'll go find the
LUG folks and see if they can walk me through the steps.

Thanks much for the help.  Did you try the command with your webcam?
Tom