[PlanetCCRMA] librubberband.so

Wed Jul 2 07:03:03 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 16:10 +0200, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > > sonic-visualizer

> > > Could you post the complete error message you get? Dependencies should
> > > be fine but somehow are broken in your case (is this on fc8 still?)...
> > >
> > This is exactly the same issue I had a week ago, when I posted the
> > message below to the list:
>
> I think I know what is happening. This is a naming difference between
> Fedora and Planet CCRMA rubberband packages... the so name is different
> (I don't know why yet - I would guess a Fedora patch) and that's why the
> problems are happening. I'll try to sort this out asap.

There is now a new Planet CCRMA rubberband package which is e-v-r newer
than the one in Fedora[*]. This should, I think, solve the dependency
problems. The newer Fedora sooperlooper package should now install, and
previous Planet CCRMA packages that depends on rubberband should not be
affected (tested on my laptop).

Regretfully this will break a proper upgrade path to FC9 (ie: the Planet
CCRMA FC8 rubberband package will be newer than the FC9 package provided
by Fedora). Oh well, nothing I can do about it.

-- Fernando

PS: it'd be nice if audio packagers @ Fedora would check this type of
backwards compatibility with Planet CCRMA, ie: start from the Planet
CCRMA package when moving things over to Fedora, but well, it is a
different world.

[*] the complete story: Planet CCRMA has had a rubberband package for
some time. It did not have a librubberband.so.1 lib, only
librubberband.so (wrong, but well, such is life). Packages compiled
against it in Planet CCRMA needed that (.so). Fedora then releases a
rubberband package that is _older_ than the Planet CCRMA one (from the
point of view of e-v-r - epoch, version, release). But it has a provide
for librubberband.so.1. So far so good, the Fedora rubberband does not
get installed because it is _older_. Then Fedora releases sooperlooper,
an update for the Planet CCRMA package that was built against the Fedora
rubberband package. Thus the problem. If yum tries to install the new
sooperlooper it chooses the "newer" rubberband from Planet CCRMA which
is not compatible with the newer sooperlooper from Fedora and the
upgrade fails as there is no package that provides librubberband.so.1
(there is one but it is older than the one in Planet CCRMA, arghh).