[PlanetCCRMA] [PlanetCCRMANews] kernels and more kernels...

Sun Jul 13 01:09:18 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 00:05 -0400, Steve Tose wrote:
> ...reposting as I sent from the wrong email address and would have to
> await moderator approval from gmail...
>
> > Hi all...
> > This time presenting a new kernel for Fedora 8 (for now). It is in the
> > planetcore-testing repository, and you will need to --allow-downgrade to
> > install it if you have already installed a 2.6.25.x based rt kernel in
> > fc8.
> >
> > The package name needed for the yum invocation is:
> >  kernel-rt-2.6.24.7-1.rt14.3.fc8.ccrma
> >
> > Based on:
> >
> > - 2.6.24.7, latest bugfix release of the 24 series
> > - Ingo's 2.6.24.7-rt14 realtime patch
> > - Fedora's kernel-2.6.24.7-92 patches
> > - MRG kernel iteration 62
> >
> > Shaken, not stirred... :-)
> >
> > 2.6.24.7-rt14 plus all patches that apply from the last Fedora 2.6.24.7
> > based kernel (and some that I tweaked to apply), plus some extra build
> > options borrowed from the MRG kernel configuration files.
> >
> > Seems to work fine for me in my laptop - better than the 2.6.25.x based
> > kernels (no BUG's triggered so far). I intend to move it from testing to
> > stable soon so any feedback would be appreciated.
> >
> > I could build a version for fc9 but I have not decided yet whether to
> > adapt the spec file to the new conventions of the 2.6.25.x based fc9
> > spec files or just build it as is. I would not be able to do any testing
> > prior to releasing it as I don't have a fc9 machine available here...
>
> I have a newly built FC9 machine and would be willing to help test
> this kernel. If you take me up on it you may want me to rebuild as I
> have installed quite a few packages including those from livna but I'm
> fine with that. It's a Compaq nc6220 with a Pentium M and 1.5 GB ram
> and a Soundblaster NX USB soundcard. I haven't yet used ccrma but have
> been using jack etc. for a while now. I should probably look up
> whether I would add you to my repos.d or reinstall anyway. I've been a
> regular Linux user since FC2 and started with RH5 or Turbolinux back
> in the day...basically I'd love to help you test a FC9 install and
> could keep the machine clean for bugreports. Thanks for your efforts
> either way and I'll certainly be trying out planetccrma soon!

Steve: there is already a realtime kernel available for Planet CCRMA on
FC9 and it is based on 2.6.25.x. The one I was talking about is based on
2.6.24.x which is older but seems (in some tests in my laptop) to behave
better with my hardware (no, I have not yet found the time to do the
build, I want to change the spec file so that the resulting package
follow the fc9 naming...).