[PlanetCCRMA] help with jack

Oded Ben-Tal oded at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sun Mar 23 06:26:07 2008

I am trying to get 4 channel output out of my MAudio Quattro sound card on
FC5 and could use some help as I'm getting nowhere.
It used to be the case that with some .asoundrc magic I could conjure a
4-channel virual sound driver out of the 2 stereo ones that the quattro
holds. This doesn't seem to work anymore.
So I'm trying to use jack to do the trick, but get an error
>jackd -R -u -dalsa -dhw:1 -r48000 -p128 -n2
Note: audio device hw:1 doesn't support a 32bit sample format so JACK will
try a 24bit format instead
Note: audio device hw:1 doesn't support a 24bit sample format so JACK will
try a 16bit format instead
Sorry. The audio interface "hw:1" doesn't support any of the hardware
sample formats that JACK's alsa-driver can use.
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
cannot load driver module alsa
Segmentation fault

If I try to use the virtual driver q4 as defined in .asoundrc I get some
suggestions that 'using alsa plugin layer is less efficient' but than:
jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
Aborted

If I try the non-plugin 4-channel device (quattro) I get
ALSA: mmap-based access is not possible for the capture stream of this
audio interface
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
cannot load driver module alsa
Segmentation fault

I am running jackd version 0.101.1 on FC5 planetCCRMA
The .asoundrc I'm using to define these devices is adapted from
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Midiman_Quattro_.asoundrc

(which used to work for me until FC3, I think)

any suggestions?
many thanks
Oded

Oded Ben-Tal