[PlanetCCRMA] fc8 install

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue Mar 25 19:23:01 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> jack:
> this is .jackdrc /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dquattro -r48000 -p1024 -n3 -D
> -Pquattro -i1 -o4
> I also tried with 0 input channels as well as 2in 2out (I'm following advice
> from Juan about setting things through qjacktl setup menus). I'm also trying
> -d q4 instead of quattro (both are defined in the .asoundrc file. q4 is a
> 'plug' version, so quattro should be better, right?).
> Invariably I get either of these:
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 3 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 24bit big-endian
> ALSA: cannot set channel count to 1 for capture
> ALSA: cannot configure capture channel

Looks like the problem is with the capture channel. Don't force it to 0
channels, what you could try is using only output and no input.

In Qjackctl's "Settings" set "Audio" to be just "Playback only".

> cannot load driver module alsa
> no message buffer overruns
> cannot read server event (Success)
> cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)
>
> creating alsa driver ...
> quattro|quattro|1024|3|48000|0|4|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 3 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 24bit big-endian
> ALSA: use 3 periods for capture
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 24bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 3 periods for playback
> ALSA: could not start playback (Broken pipe)
> DRIVER NT: could not start driver
> cannot start driver

I don't know why this is failing. Maybe setting jack to be verbose would
help pinpoint the reason?

> I do get 4-channel playback from _snd_ using MUS_ALSA_DEVICE=quattro, but it
> seems it only works if USB card is the first card.
>
> BTW - I also get this error when I start qjacktl:
> Warning: no locale found: /usr/share/locale/qjackctl_en_US.qm

You can ignore it.

> 2) xemacs
> I used your dotemacs (xemacs actually prefers .xemacs/init.el but I get the
> same error in both cases):
> (1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading
> /home/oded/.emacs:
>
> Cannot open load file: "timer"
>
> Backtrace follows:
>
>  signal(file-error ("Cannot open load file" "timer"))
>  # bind (path handler filename nosuffix nomessage noerror file)
>  load("timer" nil require nil)
>  # (unwind-protect ...)
>  require(timer) etc. etc. etc.
>
> I can print out the rest but it doesn't appear very helpful. If I comment out
> slime from the file I don't get this problem, but than I don't get slime
> either...

I don't use xemacs any more so I can't really help. I switched to plain
old emacs and it works fine for slime. Try that out...

> And a final short question: how do I stop/start/restart alsa in FC8?
> previously there was /etc/init.d/asound but it moved or disappeared.

Ha... not really possible.
Fedora changed the game a while back. Drivers are loaded when udev starts
and the load is determined by what udev finds. ALSA is started as a side
effect of that (just like drivers for the network or usb or anything else
are loaded). Furthermore the volume control runs all the time and makes it
difficult to actually unload the modules... You can try with the old
script but I think you'll find that the modules in question are "busy" and
can't be unloaded.

-- Fernando