[PlanetCCRMA] problemillas at first jack startup

simone www.io-sound.org cimo75 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 02:38:56 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <
nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 00:10 +0200, simone www.io-sound.org wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:17 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> > <nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> >         On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 22:10 +0200, simone www.io-sound.org
> >         wrote:
> >         > hi
> >         > i can t run jack with real time enable i get this:
> >         >
> >         > 21:57:02.928 /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -r44100 -p256 -n2 -D
> >         -Chw:0
> >         > -Phw:0
> >         > jackd 0.109.2
> >         > Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> >         > jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> >         > This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute
> >         it
> >         > under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> >         > JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> >         > cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for
> >         thread
> >         > -1208875328, from thread -1208875328] (1: Operation not
> >         permitted)
> >

> >         Check the file /etc/security/limits.conf and verify that this
> >         is in
> >         there:
> >
> >         ----
> >         ## Automatically appended by the Planet CCRMA
> >         jack-audio-connection-kit
> >         * - rtprio 99
> >         * - memlock 4194304
> >         * - nice -10
> >         ----
> > yep i ve already done that
> > now it just works cause i run as root to check jack in root and went
> > back to user
> > probably since it is the jack kit to patch limits.conf file and i ve
> > installed jack kit as user
>
> Did you install jack from source? Or the Planet CCRMA package?

jack kit from ccrma but qjacktl from source (isn t qjacktl in the jack kit?
i didn t get any entry on the menu after installing the rpm)

> > it s all good now, fedora with planet ccrma kernel seems to be better
> > performing than ubuntu studio but sometime there is a bunch load of
> > work on the HD and it starts reading like crazy and eventually
> > crashing jack
> >
> > seems to me like a lack of memory but i haven t got this problem in
> > ubuntu
>
> It smells like you are running out of memory. Disk activity could be
> related to swap activity (if nothing else is running that may be
> touching disk). Do you see any messages after the crash
> in /var/log/messages? How much memory do you have?

i ll check that out when it happens again
i have 512Mb

> > isn t there a list of serivces that i can remove for better
> > performance ?
>
> If it is a swapping problem then you probably want to run jack without
> memory locking (there is an option for that in qjackctl). That means
> audio apps could be swapped out to disk, of course, and then bringing
> them in could cause an xrun. I don't know what the default settings in
> ubuntu might be.

i am using the same value as in ubuntu

> You could also try running a window manager that has a smaller memory
> footprint, like xface.

i like the idea, i am decided to have an installation only for audio
purposes, and i am also getting a new/used laptop with a centrino 1,8 Ghz
and upgrading to 1Gig memory
i ll check this xface out..

--
.wmv , .wma , .pps along with all proprietary Windows formats won t be
accepted and/or viewed....