[PlanetCCRMA] CentOS and CCRMA?

Michael Hall mick at terrarossa.com.au
Sat May 3 19:07:19 PDT 2008

While searching the mail archives I discovered the CentOS packages
parked on CCRMA, and am wondering about the status of these packages.

I ask because I'm trying to settle on a distro to build Linux audio
machines (DAW and live performance machines). I have tried most distros
over the past 7 years, but have mainly used RedHat/Fedora and Slackware.
I now use CentOS daily in my work as a web developer. I have little
experience with Debian, but recently installed Ubuntu Studio 7.04 and am
impressed with how far Linux audio infrastructure and apps have come.

I'm keen to settle on a stable distro with long release cycles for doing
audio. Getting
audio apps to work properly is often difficult enough without also
having to contend with constantly changing base operating systems as
well. I know there is a role for bleeding edge distros, just not on my
work machines thanks!

Unfortunately, both Fedora and Ubuntu have short release cycles which
means that as soon as all the bugs are ironed out of one version,
another has arrived. So it seems to me that either CentOS or Debian (or
maybe both) is the way to go.

64Studio has me interested in Debian as a base OS, but I still
understand RPM OSs from the RedHat family best, and have found CentOS to
be pretty solid and reliable to date.

So I suppose my questions are: is there a "roadmap" for the CentOS
packages, will CCRMA ever officially support CentOS (or does it
already), or is anyone working on a CentOS-based audio Linux? Are there
any 64 bit CentOS CCRMA packages?

Thanks
Mick