[PlanetCCRMA] Need help getting realtime kernel working with Fedora 8 and nvidia

Paul Vallee pv.vallee at gmail.com
Fri May 9 00:50:52 PDT 2008

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your help.
I'm glad that your solution uses the livna-supplied drivers rather than the
nvidia-supplied drivers because I understand from reading this article:

Attention: Proprietary video driver users (ATI, Nvidia, etc.)
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-February/msg01178.html>
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-February/msg01178.html

that the drivers supplied by Nvidia overwrite some OpenGL libraries with
their own versions of those libraries. Very naughty.

Before I can proceed I need ask you a few questions:

1. How do I find out if I have the plantetccrma kernel-devel package
installed on my system and if it's not there, how do I get it?

2. Do I have to remove the livna-supplied nvidia driver that I have already
installed on my Fedora 2.6.24.5-85.fc8 kernel, or can it co-exist peacefully
with the one I'm about to install on the planetccrma
2.6.24.3-1.rt1.2.fc8.ccrmart kernel?

3. Do I have to do the installation as root or should I do it as a regular
user?

4. Which 'package' do I need to download from livna: *
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-169.12.1.lvn8.src.rpm*, *
nvidia-kmod-169.12-7.lvn8.src.rpm*, ...?

Thanks

--
Kind Regards,

Paul Vallee