[PlanetCCRMA] Need help getting realtime kernel working with Fedora 8 and nvidia

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Fri May 9 08:35:04 PDT 2008

By the way,

After you install the kmod-nvidia package, you might have trouble with
 yum update   when there's a fedora kernel update, since it will try
to update to the new one rather than install the new one (I think this
causes a dependency conflict because kernels are installonly by
default in yum, but updating tries to take away the old kmod-nvidia
package - again, someone who knows yum better please advise).

I am thinking you can fix this by adding "kmod-nvidia" to an
installonlypkgs line in yum.conf -- or if you don't want to do that,
if you get an error from   yum update   saying you have dependency
issues involving  kmod-nvidia  I have found success by running

yum install kernel kmod-nvidia

first before running yum update.

Best,

Matt

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Matt Barber <brbrofsvl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some answers below:
>
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 3:50 AM, Paul Vallee <pv.vallee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>> I'm glad that your solution uses the livna-supplied drivers rather than the
>> nvidia-supplied drivers because I understand from reading this article:
>>
>> Attention: Proprietary video driver users (ATI, Nvidia, etc.)
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-February/msg01178.html
>>
>> that the drivers supplied by Nvidia overwrite some OpenGL libraries with
>> their own versions of those libraries. Very naughty.
>>
>> Before I can proceed I need ask you a few questions:

<snip>