[PlanetCCRMA] Need help getting realtime kernel working with Fedora 8 and nvidia

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Wed May 14 15:25:41 PDT 2008

Paul,

It seems unlikely that the JACK problem is related to the nvidia
driver -- start a new thread.  In the meantime, post a copy of the
output error message when you start jack - the problem I've seen most
often on Fedora 7 is related to something like the following not being
in /etc/security/limits.conf

----
## Automatically appended by the Planet CCRMA jack-audio-connection-kit
* - rtprio 99
* - memlock 4194304
* - nice -10
----

See here, for instance:

http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2008-April/014711.html

Since Fedora has its own JACK, if it was installed when you installed
the rest of the OS, sometimes you might see something different there
involving a jackuser group... if this is the case, you can usually
just comment that out and copy the above in.

There are other things that can keep jackd from starting, though, some
having to do with your specific hardware, so posting error messages is
always a good idea.

Thanks,

Matt