[PlanetCCRMA] softsynth woes and woes and woes........

Ken Ellinwood kellinwood at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 18:44:16 PST 2008

> I have a pretty good midi capable keyboard and if I could pipe the
> keyboard into rosegarden, ( which I have been doing for years ), do my
> editing and file saving, and then send it back to the keyboard for
> playback I could get away from all of the softsynth problems and also
> take advantage of the better speakers in my keyboard.

I'm confused.  Do you mean you want to...

a) transfer MIDI files to/from the keyboard.  Edit the MIDI on the computer but transfer the MIDI file back to the keyboard and have the keyboard sequence the songs.

b) record/playback MIDI from the computer with the midi files residing on the computer, edited on the computer, and sequenced from the computer to the keyboard.

Scenario 'a' might be possible if your keyboard manufacturer provides a software application that works with the keyboard.  The problem is that each manufacturer invents their own sysex messages to handle file transfers and they usually aren't forthcoming with the details.

Of course, 'b' works and you just have to have properly configured MIDI interface for the computer to make it work (sometimes easier said than done).  There are too many devices and variations to develop a tutorial that would work for the majority, so its probably best if you tell us what equipment you have and we'll take it from there.

Ken