[PlanetCCRMA] No Qjackctl, jackd from CLI works fine

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 01:17:36 PDT 2008

[snip]

> obviously there's a difference between the way you start jackd through
> qjackctl and from the command line: you set 2 as for the number of input
> and output channels while on qjackctl setup--depending on your hardware
> that can be, and i suspect it is, the real show-stopper. hint: fallback
> to the "(default)" value, please.

Oh, but I tried that before I emailed the list. But then again, how
could you know with the little info I gave (sorry).

It is true as you say that when I started jackd from the CLI I did not
specifiy the number of I/O channels (it satill gives me two fully
functional input and output ports), whereas in Qjackctl I did. It
turns out if I set the output channels to 6 in Qjackctl it has no
problems starting jack. It didn't use to be like this. Yesterday
morning I could start up Qjackctl for the specifiec hardware with 1,
2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 output channels. Now, my question was mainly related
to whether someone else has seen this happen: after a Qjackctl crash
(incidentally Qjackctl and Pd) it breaks in this way.

However, it may be (more) related alsa. Running alsamixer for the
specified hardware reports 6 output playback channels and no capture
cannels. So finding out what the "default" values for input/output
should be is kind of difficult.

best,

/Henrik