[PlanetCCRMA] Call me stupid, but...

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 17 12:43:05 PDT 2008

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU>

> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 20:43 +0000, William M. Quarles wrote:
> > I'm trying to find how to give the PlanetCCRMA repositories
> > higher priority than the Fedora ones, and I can't seem to find
> > a good answer to that on the Internet. Also, I was wondering how
> > to get the source packages for PlsnetCCRMA, as I would like
> > to compile my own kernel, and the information found on
> > <http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/recompilekernel.html>
> > is seriously outdated.
>
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/all/linux/SRPMS/
>
> That has not so recent stuff. More recent .src.rpm's can be found in
> version specific repositories (location changed when I upgraded my build
> system):
>
> For example, for fc8:
>
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/8/SRPMS/

Actually, I found the Planet kernel SRPM for Fedora 8 at:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetcore/8/

> On kernels:
>
> I've been compiling and trying newer kernels. A couple of days ago I
> thought that 2.6.26.6-rt10 was good until I got a complete freeze this
> morning (well, after upgrading to rt11, maybe that was it?). Still, much
> better than what versions > 2.6.24 had been so far. Sigh. 2.6.24.7-rtxx
> is so far the best, but at CCRMA we have seen X segfaults with that one
> under _fc9_. On the other hand I have been running 2.6.26.6-rt11 for the
> whole day on my fc8 laptop with no mishaps so far.
>
> -- Fernando

I tried to go through the process of building a custom configuration for the Planet's realtime kernel on Fedora 8, and after running

rpmbuild -bp --target=`uname -m` kernel.spec

I got this error message:

+ for i in '*.config'
+ mv kernel-2.6.24.7-i586-rt.config kernel-2.6.24.7-i586-rt.config.tmp
+ /home/William/rpmbuild/SOURCES/merge.pl /home/William/rpmbuild/SOURCES/config-realtime-generic kernel-2.6.24.7-i586-rt.config.tmp
Could not open /home/William/rpmbuild/SOURCES/config-realtime-generic at /home/William/rpmbuild/SOURCES/merge.pl line 16.
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.6749 (%prep)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.6749 (%prep)

Something missing there? Or do you use a different procedure for building kernels than the Fedora Project recommends?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

One last note, my laptop did not properly return to full boot after hibernating on the rt-2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc8.ccrma kernel. Maybe that's a moot point now that it sounds like you are releasing a newer kernel soon, but I just thought I would let you know.

Peace,
William