[PlanetCCRMA] Call me stupid, but...

Sat Oct 18 11:07:26 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 05:28 -0700, Tracey Hytry wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:39:15 -0700
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>
> > I've been compiling and trying newer kernels. A couple of days ago I
> > thought that 2.6.26.6-rt10 was good until I got a complete freeze this
> > morning (well, after upgrading to rt11, maybe that was it?). Still, much
> > better than what versions > 2.6.24 had been so far. Sigh. 2.6.24.7-rtxx
> > is so far the best, but at CCRMA we have seen X segfaults with that one
> > under _fc9_. On the other hand I have been running 2.6.26.6-rt11 for the
> > whole day on my fc8 laptop with no mishaps so far.
>
> I've been trying to get around to posting some of my observations
> of fedora 9, but life has been very busy the last few weeks.  So
> here I sit at 5 am getting this out(which should have been asked a
> while ago.
>
> It seemed to have taken most of the summer for me to get a functioning
> fedora 9 on any of the machines around here.  All of the problems have
> been with X, and related issues with trying to run the jack system with
> no xruns.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing.

My recent experiences are (on fc9):
2.6.24.*rt*: x segfaults after a while
2.6.26.*rt*: experienced one hard hang (testing yesterday)

> It appears that ANY 2.6.24.xxx kernel will NOT work with fedora 9.

Seems to be the case.

> This includes the fedora kernels and the ccrma realtime kernels.

Hmmm, we're running the latest Fedora kernel, seems to be fine with
regards to X but of course it sucks if you are trying to do low latency
stuff.

> I have had pretty stable systems running fedora's 2.6.26 kernels and
> ccrma's 2.6.25.9-1.rt7.2.fc9.ccrma.x86_64.rt kerenel on both 32 and
> 64 bit systems.
>
> For the longest time I thought it was because of poor X support for
> the types of nvidia graphics I have, but started to realize that the
> kernel itself seemed to play into the instability.  I've managed to
> get both the 32 and 64 bit machines running well using the latest
> fedora kernels along with livna's 3d nvidia graghics drivers.  As I
> said above, the "25" ccrma-rt also works, but I only was able to test
> it using the normal "nv" 2d X drivers.
>
> So anyway.  Fernando, I got the 25rt kernel off of the repository,
> but could not find the kernel-devel package for it.  Is it around
> somewhere so that I can try to build an nvidia driver for it?

It looks like it is there in the "testing"repository (for fc9). You have
to install kernel-rt-devel, not kernel-devel. But I don't remember if
the 2.6.25.x build I did had the proper fc9+ requires/provides.

Also, there is also something fishy with the PAE builds. Yesterday I run
into issues with an USB midi keyboard right before a concert and had to
revert to the normal kernel. I don't know if it was actually the kernel
or not, I have not had a chance to test again (and I don't have the
keyboard at home). Anyway...

As usual, thanks a lot for the feedback!
At least I'm not alone in my frustration with the current state of rt...