[PlanetCCRMA] 4GBs of ram with 32-bit ccrma

sevol sevol at hemp.net
Tue Sep 2 23:38:31 PDT 2008

Jim Robinson wrote:

 ><--- CUT ---><
> Sevol - I have 2Gb on my P4 machine that I use as my DAW and have mixed
> a 9 track song with heavy effects active without swapping - so give it a
> try on the ccrmart kernel with the memory you have.
> BTW - I use 2x 3G SATA drives - 1 for the OS and 1 for the actual data -
> this really helps as Disk I/O is important too.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Jim

Thanks Jim,

I agree - for now, the accessible RAM in my system should be enough to
do plenty of audio stuff. Plus, a system & separate audio drive is good
for I/O transfer rates. But my audio setup is a mess until I do a bunch
of things - some dealing with hardware & some with software.

Software wise, I had things more or less working, but mostly untried
under fc7 & CCRMA. I don't have audio of any sort working with my
present setup. (I have a Firepod that needs to visit the Presonus
hospital for an operation, & also a 2nd audio interface that's in a
Linux waiting room :) I think my lack of sound under fc8 & CCRMA might
be PluseAudio related, but I haven't tried to google & solve this yet.
I'll start a new thread if I can't get going.

Well, unless someone has a simple answer to why I have no sound -
there's no audio interface attached ATM; I'm just interested to hear the
machine make noises via the on-board audio.

Cheers,
		-s