[PlanetCCRMA] for brave users only, kernel 2.6.29.1-rt4 for fc10

Sun Apr 5 16:05:50 PDT 2009

I just pushed a new build of 2.6.29.1-rt4 (Thomas Gleixner, one of the
gurus working on the rt patches would like to give it a whirl and the
easiest way is to put it in planetcore-testing) even though it is not
"stable" for me. Problems I have seen:

I can't get it to shut down cleanly. At the very end of the sequence a
bug or oops happens and the process is halted with some error message.
You have to push the power button till the bios decides it is time to
quit. This affects suspend as well. Both are cured by booting with
"noreplace-smp" as a kernel boot option.

I do get occasional hangs. On a very loaded dual core laptop running a
lot of realtime audio processing / synthesis programs. So, not
recommended for live performance yet :-)

This might be an interaction between rt and the Fedora patches I'm using
in my builds (I've been tracking the current rt patches closely and
trying to report on problems I find). But overall it is looking better
and better.

Thanks also to Tracey Hytry for the thorough testing and comments behind
the scenes of the preliminary builds!!

If you are happy with your current kernel just keep making music with it
and ignore this email...