[PlanetCCRMA] libportaudio and libjack not compatible in FC7 repo?

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 15:14:39 PST 2009

Hi, I am using the CCRMA FC7 repo on my OLPC (/etc/redhat-release says
"Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)").  Unfortunately the libportaudio I
pull in is referencing a symbol which no longer exist in this version
of libjack, specifically jack_port_lock.  I get this error when I try
to import the python module _portaudio, as in pyaudio.py:

# python -c "import _portaudio"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: /usr/lib/libportaudio.so.2: undefined symbol: jack_port_lock

# rpm -qf /usr/lib/libjack.so /usr/lib/libportaudio.so
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.109.2-0.svn1088.1.fc7.ccrma
portaudio-devel-19-3.fc7.ccrma

# strings /usr/lib/libjack.so|grep ^jack_port_l

# strings /usr/lib/libportaudio.so|grep ^jack_port_l
jack_port_lock

Looking at the fedora-devel list I surmise that jack_port_lock
disappeared between 0.23 (in F8) and 0.28 (the version in CCRMA FC7).
So I believe the problem is that portaudio needs to be rebuilt against
this jack.

http://archives.mars-attacks.org/ml/fedora/msg16356.html