[PlanetCCRMA] Questions that might be able to be added to the FAQs

Sun Dec 27 11:42:59 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-24 at 22:21 -0500, William M. Quarles wrote:
> On 12/21/2009 6:59 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 08:59 -0500, William M. Quarles wrote:
> > Fedora 11 is complete (and has been for a while). Fedora 12 is also in
> > pretty good shape, I think only missing the planetccrma-apps package
> > which I need to rework. I seem to never find time to update the web
> > site...
>
> Well, I guess what I am getting at here is that other open-source
> projects/repositories out there seem to have multiple people working on
> them. You are pretty much tackling the whole thing here by yourself
> while you also have all of those machines at Stanford to worry about too
> maintaining, too, so I'm trying to see how we can help you in the
> interest of reducing your burnout while enhancing the production of the
> software and documentation.

Thanks...

> >> I was interested in trying to see if I could get Planet CCRMA RPMS to
> >> build on a ppc-based Power Mac running Fedora with just making the
> >> appropriate changes to config files and spec files of your existing
> >> SRPMs to adjust for the architecture. Do you think that might work?
> >
> > It should work. In fact it should not require changes to the .config
> > files as they are based on the Fedora configuration files which I think
> > still support ppc.
> >
> > I _think_ someone else on the list had done that before (building on
> > ppc)
>
> I'm sure that there would be some stupid university rules against this,
> but would there be a way to host a PowerPC build of Planet CCRMA if
> someone else did the building?

Hmm, interesting idea. I don't think there would be anything in
Stanford's policies that would preclude that. I don't think we have
hardware for that, although I think there are a few mini's that are
about to become obsolete (Carr is working on setting new ones up), maybe
we can use one of them as a builder for plague (the build system I'm
using).

When/If I switch to drupal it may become easier to help... but
everything needs time :-)