[PlanetCCRMA] Saffire Pro 10 not working on CCRMA/F10

Wed Feb 25 12:50:47 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 13:28 -0700, linux media 4 wrote:
> David Nielson wrote:
>  > Check to make sure you have the raw1394 driver loaded using lsmod and
>  > modprobe.
>
> Once I'm booted up I do:
> lsmod | grep raw1394
> It shows nothing has been loaded.
>
> I turn on the interface, then plug into firewire and do:
> lsmod | grep raw1394
> It shows nothing has been loaded

Try just "lsmod" without the pipe. I think lsmod is not in the standard
path for non-root users, you have to /sbin/lsmod....

> I 'su root' and do:
> modprobe raw1394
> 'lsmod | grep raw1394' reveals:
> raw1394  24008  0
>
> I turn on the interface and 'cat /proc/asound/cards' doesn't reveal any
> mention of this interface.

It should not. Firewire support in Jack goes through a completely
different route and not through alsa at all (there are no alsa drivers
for firewire yet).

> Is the interface supposed to show up in the 'cat /proc/asound/cards' output?

Nope.

>  > You might need to download the latest version of libraw1394;
>  > 2.0.0 has been out for a while, but most distributions still ship
>  > 1.3.something IIRC. I haven't used F10 yet so I can't speak to that.
>
> 'yum info libraw1394' reveals:
> Name       : libraw1394
> Arch       : i386
> Version    : 2.0.1
> Release    : 1.fc10
> Repo       : installed
>
>  > You should probably plug in and turn on the Saffire before booting the
>  > computer. Understand that ALSA will have **nothing** to do with the
>  > operation of this interface; ffado and ALSA operate independently of
>  > each other.
>
> Yeah, tried this several times and will keep trying again.
>
>  > When you start jackd, you must start it with the "firewire" driver
>  > instead of the "alsa" driver. This is selected by a drop-down menu in
>  > the qjackctl setup window,
>
> Yeah, I do that. In QJackCtl's (Interface) dropdown I see different
> listings. What should I be seeing if this interface was actually reconized?
>
>  > or if you start jack from the command line,
>  > by adding "-d firewire" to the command.
>
> Just to keep things simple, I did:
> jackd -d firewire
> It did start up and the interface suddenly responded with the "quick
> flashing" power light, so something happened. The interface "acts" like
> it's been reconized,

Then probably it is being recognized. That's good.

> but 'cat /proc/asound/cards' doesn't show anything
> relating to this interface.
>
> Don't know if this is important, but jackd outputs the continous message:
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, skip cycle

Hmmm, now you could try with different buffer sizes and periods. I would
keep experimenting with minimum options directly from the command line.