[PlanetCCRMA] f10/2.6.26-rt not working/ffado use

Thu Feb 26 09:16:07 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 14:53 +0100, Raphael Raccuia wrote:
> thank's:
>
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 17:44 +0100, Raphael Raccuia wrote:
> >
> > > Hi list...
> > > I'm very new fedora/ccrma user. I use Ubuntu and some debian fork music
> > > oriented since 3 years, and I wanted to change, just to know other
> > > distributions... I choosed CCRMA for its kernel-rt, rtirq script and
> > > other configurations well integrated, and for its ffado/jackd last
> > > versions in repositories... I also like its sound development
> > > orientation (pd super collider etc...)
> > >
> > > But the rt-kernel refuse to work: boot starts normally, then stop and
> > > verboses some informations I can't find in log files... He tells about
> > > udev fail on last line...
> > >

> > Sorry you are getting into problems so early :-(
> >
> In the same time, on normal kernel, everything seems to work very
> good...
> > Do you remember the exact error message it prints?
> >
> Yes, now I copied. It boots normally, I can see progression line, but
> then a verbose appears (I can't identify a real error message),
> progression line continue slowly to end, and nothing happens... If I
> press 'esc' or a F-key, this message appears:
> udevd-event[717]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit (after a
> fedora boot start message in french)
> > If the rt kernel can't boot on your hardware then the rest of the
> > firewire stuff will not work I'm afraid to say. Sigh. I take it you are
> > able to boot normally into the Fedora kernels right?
> >
> yes
> > Which version of Fedora did you install? Fedora 10?
> >
> 10
> > > And a FFADO question: do I have to install raw1394 to use my fw device,
> > > or it is supposed to work with ohci_core/ohci_...???
> > >

> > You would not need to install anything special...
> >
> ok...
> I tried to run jack on normal kernel, but I get something like "access
> to firewire.so (or similar): permission denied"... I thought
> libraw1394 and ieee??? was necessary to run ffado...

There are _two_ sets of kernel modules that implement firewire. Fedora
includes in their kernels the new firewire "stack" of modules and
regretfully FFADO is not working yet with those. So no amount of
tinkering will make FFADO work with the Fedora kernels.

I'll try to think of something later (busy morning).