[PlanetCCRMA] 2.6.26.8-1.rt13.1.fc9.ccrma.x86_64.rt in testing

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Sun Jan 18 04:00:06 PST 2009

I thought that I should give some feedback on the newest.

I downloaded the newest kernel on both the 32 and 64 bit machines Friday evening.

On the 32 bit(i686) fedora I still get the same kernel error message right after booting(but the errors don't happen again).  So, it looks like the bug is still there on the 32 bitter.

On the 64 bit dual AMD dual core here the new kernel works like a charm so far.  It's been running the past 12 or more hours with no errors.  I didn't do a lot of testing on the desktop earlier, but my housemate ran the disks through hell backing up a little more then 3/4 of a terabyte on to my system.  Tomorrow we get to run the processor along with the disk in fast circles doing md5 checksums of all of those new files.

It's late, but I got a chance to do a fast test of the audio system.  I did a little ta-whacking on an external midi drum pad connected to a midisport 4x4 run into the machine via usb.  I used qjackcontrol to route that into hydrogen(it's always fun to play hydrogen's drums yourself instead of listening to its mechanical bangings).  I routed the hydrogen audio to the audiophile card and all sounded fine on the headphones(it's late at night and I can only rattle my brain, not the apartment with the speakers).  Anyway, jack is running 32 frames and 2 periods(1.45 msec latencey) with no xruns and the midi working just fine in that quick test.

It is nice to see 64-bit getting some love after all this time...

Thanks.