[PlanetCCRMA] F11, alsa cards and udev

Fri Jun 12 09:42:26 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 10:20 +0100, Simon Fielding wrote:
> I don't know if this is of use to anyone but I did some experimentation
> a couple of months ago on F11 (without CCRMA or rt-kernel) with multiple
> sound cards. I've just recently realised that I sent the results to LAD
> rather than LAU or CCRMA which in hindsight was probably a mistake. The
> archive links are
>
> http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2009/05/0000.html
>
> and
>
> http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2009/05/0001.html
>
> If this is any use to anyone, or if there is any more testing anybody
> can suggest, I'd be quite happy to take this further.

Thanks for the links, any and all information is useful!!

A comment with regards to card order. The currently recommended way to
deal with this is to use the card names instead of the numbers. In that
way the cards can end up in any slot and jack will always pick up the
right one (same as using "eth0" or "eth1" instead of the id of the
network card).

If you do a:
  cat /proc/asound/cards

You get a list of installed cards (this is on my laptop):
$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfe020000 irq 17

Then you pick the string in between '[]', "Intel" in my case and use it
when specifying the hardware device to use in qjackctl's device field:

  hw:Intel
instead of:
  hw:0

Seems to work just fine...