[PlanetCCRMA] I Am Told That rawmidi Ports Should Still Be Accessible By Other Apps Even When Jack Is Running

Sean Beeson seanbeeson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:57:07 PDT 2009

> I'm not sure who is using the midi port (could be jack itself or
> qjackctl). Could you do a:
>
>  /sbin/fuser /dev/snd/midiC5D0
>
> that should give you a process id of who has it open and then you can
> find who is keeping it busy. If something is using the sequencer the raw
> midi port will be busy as well...
>
> -- Fernando

Thanks, Fernando.

Well, I can't say anyone lied to me because, yes, if jack/qjackctl are
running with nothing connected to a particular rawmidi port through qjackctl
that I can use amidi. However, once anything, sequencer or midi keyboard, is
connected it will block anything else from outside of qjackctl and give the
messege I mentioned. Curiously, fuser shows nothing for midiC5D0, but if I
run the following as root I get....

[root at ceres sean]# /sbin/fuser -v /dev/snd/*
                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC0:  root       3926 F.... jackd
/dev/snd/controlC6:  sean       3274 F.... mixer_applet2
/dev/snd/pcmC0D1c:   root       3926 F...m jackd
/dev/snd/pcmC0D1p:   root       3926 F...m jackd
/dev/snd/seq:        root       3921 F.... qjackctl
                            root       3926 F.... jackd

It doesn't change whether I have something connected to a midi port or not.
It is always the same.

You actually revealed a lot to me. Thank again.

I am left hoping for something I can read and write sysexe files that uses
jack, however now. I can disconnect the rawmidi port in qjackctl if I need
to so it:'s not totally unworkable.

--Sean