[PlanetCCRMA] slv2-examples

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:24:20 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 03:53:50PM -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
>
>> > Another question: I want to give zyn and zynjacku a first try, but can
>> > find very little info on how to use it for first time users. The info I
>> > can find is more for developers and programmers.
>> >
>> > How do I load zyn, how do I connect it to my MIDI keyboard or vkeybd
>> > (using qjackctl ?). Help ?
>
>> If you are looking for lv2 plugins, do a
>> yum search lv2
>
> I found the calf plugins. No more (yet?)

Oops, sorry. They were in updates-testing and they got pushed to
stable just today. It takes 1-2 days for packages hit the mirrors.
Meanwhile, you can enable the updates-testing repo to install them
(the same *lv2* packages are pushed to stable today so you won't lose
anything).

>> PS: Also I'd recommend zynjacku package (already in official Fedora
>> repo) which contains lv2rack which is a rack for lv2 plugins.
>
> Yes, I found these too.
>
> But my other question still remains: How do I use all this stuff ?
> If I start zynjacku it tries to find plugins on the internet. I dont
> know how to load plugins that I have downloaded (I want to try zyn) and
> that should now be somewhere on my harddisk. I have set LV2_PATH to
> /usr/lib/slv2. What next ?

There are many ways to load them. You can use lv2rack+qjackctl. You
can use lv2_jack_host+qjackctl. Or you can use the application's own
plugin loader if the application supports lv2 natively.

zynjacku/lv2rack don't look for plugins on the internet. The plugins
installed on your system are labeled such as:
http://plugin.org.uk/swh-plugins/artificialLatency
http://plugin.org.uk/swh-plugins/autoPhaser
http://calf.sourceforge.net/plugins/VintageDelay
http://home.gna.org/lv2vocoder/1
http://home.gna.org/zyn/zynadd/1
etc.

But they are actually *on* your system. I know that the upstream
choice is confusing and originally I got confused by this too. You can
get a list of installed plugins via
$ lv2_jack_host
and you can load a plugin, for instance, via
$ lv2_jack_host http://calf.sourceforge.net/plugins/VintageDelay

Then it will show up on the qjackctl's "Connect" interface. Similarly
for lv2rack.

> I have used DSSI and LADSPA plugins with ams, audacity, and rosegarden4.
> And I even found many free VST plugins that actually work with dssi-vst.
> But LV2 still looks like something for the future ? Or can I really use
> it already today ?

Yes they are ready to use today. ardour, rosegarden, traverso support
lv2 natively. I'm not sure about the others, but even if they don't
support lv2 natively, you can still use the  (lv2rack or
lv2_jack_host)+(qjackctl) combination. Please report bugs if you find
any.

Orcan