[PlanetCCRMA] [Fedora-music-list] about the Fedora Studio idea

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sat May 16 22:51:20 PDT 2009

> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 16:24 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>
>> I will start writing the wiki page this week and report the status
>> once I have enough material that can benefit from feedback.

I did start writing the wiki page [1] last week but I got stuck at one point.

It is not easy to make a good and fair classification. If we just take
the AudioCreation software away and make a new group with them, and
leave all the Audio/Video players, Digital Media and Video production
software in Multimedia, it will be bad design. We need a better
solution, which is not that easy to find.

These are the types of software we have in the Multimedia group.

- Audio Player
- Video Player
- Both Audio and Video Player
- Digital (optical) Media Creation
- Digital (optical) Media Ripping
- Video Creation
- Subtitle software
- Audio Creation (which itself has many sub-categories)

So how shall we do the branching?

* A starting point would be separating Audio and Video. Then make
"Players" and "Creation" subgroups an each. But then where will the
CD/DVD creation/ripping stuff will go?

* Another starting point would be to separate Creation stuff
altogether, leaving all the players in Multimedia. Then the Creation
group will contain both Audio and Video stuff. This is not a bad thing
to do if the subgrouping is made logical.

* Yet another starting point is, do not create another main group.
Just do all the subgrouping inside Multimedia.

I really can't decide which of the three to pick. Can I get some
opinions here? In all the cases, we will have the issue of having some
packages that belong to multiple subgroups. How shall we handle this?

Orcan

PS: I'm also CC'ing planetccrma list in case some users want to share
their opinions.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraStudio