[PlanetCCRMA] [Fedora-music-list] about the Fedora Studio, idea

David Nielson naptastic at comcast.net
Sun May 17 10:48:47 PDT 2009

>> These are the types of software we have in the Multimedia group.
>>
>> - Audio Player
>> - Video Player
>> - Both Audio and Video Player
>> - Digital (optical) Media Creation
>> - Digital (optical) Media Ripping
>> - Video Creation
>> - Subtitle software
>> - Audio Creation (which itself has many sub-categories)
>>
>> So how shall we do the branching?

I submit that perhaps this categorization is too formal. People will
choose this distro over Fedora because of what they want to *do*, and it
might make more sense to organize things by that heuristic. For example:

- Listening to music
- Managing a music collection (incl. ripping, syncing to ipod, etc.)
- Making music (which, as you say, has many sub-categories)
- Recording music
- Watching videos
- Making videos

If this were a menu setup, I would use one of the categories (recording
music) and the others would all rust from disuse. This gives us a very
stark, honest look at what this distro would be all about, and what the
state of affairs is. The first two categories are getting a lot of
attention paid to them by the "fedora mainstream," among others, and I
dare say that they are still in really crappy shape. (I *STILL* can't
just double-click an ogg vorbis file and listen to it, as of stock
Fedora 10.) The "making music" and "recording music" categories are in
much better shape because we have people like Paul Davis and others, who
actually *use* the tools they're making, and make them usable. "Watching
videos" would, again, be best left to the "fedora mainstream" people, at
least IMO, and the "making videos" category would be ours to manage,
with tools like Cinelerra and I don't know what else.

I think this is probably the most logical and sensible way to divide the
effort, anyway. The bad news is that the apps and tools left on the
Fedora side will still get seriously neglected, but at least there will
be a good distribution for the tools *we* use.

All of this is just my $0.02 and I can probably be talked down from it
easily.

David