[PlanetCCRMA] Getting rid of or disabling Pulse a good idea?

Mike Mazarick mazarick at bellsouth.net
Thu May 21 13:33:59 PDT 2009

I've noticed that many/most other people go thru the same basic learning
curve I did.  They eliminate Pulse Audio almost as a matter of course for
any serious audio work with Linux.   I can see a lot of benefits to Pulse
for the average user, but it seems to cause nothing but confusion and
headaches for the serious user.   I would imagine it is mainly because Pulse
audio wants to make the latency as long as possible in order to maintain
quality, and the composer/musician would prefer latency to be as short as
possible and still maintain an acceptable level of sound quality.

I would recommend either disabling or removing Pulse Audio from the standard
distribution for CCRMA and enabling/installing it for the cases where it is
needed.

Any other thoughts/suggestions/opinions?

Mike Mazarick