[PlanetCCRMA] Getting rid of or disabling Pulse a good idea?

TheOther theother1510 at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 22 06:01:59 PDT 2009

Mike Mazarick wrote:
> I would recommend either disabling or removing Pulse Audio from the standard
> distribution for CCRMA and enabling/installing it for the cases where it is
> needed.
>
> Any other thoughts/suggestions/opinions?
>
> Mike Mazarick

Hello Mike,

I'm totally ignorant about packaging for CCRMA.  But I notice that the
PulseAudio packages are coming directly from Fedora.  In Fedora 10,
it's pulseaudio 0.9.14-3.fc10.

Is it even possible for CCRMA to remove or disable PulseAudio?

The good news is that in Fedora 10, you can uninstall PulseAudio.
Another person has said that you must keep:  pulseaudio-libs
on your system or things get upset.  I still have pulseaudio-libs
installed, but everything else is uninstalled.

Best,
Stephen.