[PlanetCCRMA] Getting rid of or disabling Pulse a good idea?

Jeff Sandys sandysj at juno.com
Fri May 22 11:59:57 PDT 2009

I have been playing around with pulseaudio and jack on F11 Preview,
and don't think it is necessary to get rid of pulseaudio (although I did
delete it from my current CCRMA-F10, because I was too lazy to figure
out how to configure PA and Jack to work together)

According to this interview with the PA developer,
* Pulseaudio now automatically surrenders a device when Jack requests it
* Pulseaudio attempts to match the latency of the driving application
     http://jaboutboul.blogspot.com/2009/05/sound-of-fedora-11.html
     http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html

My limited tests with F11 Preview seems to confirm this.  Qjackclt started
fine and I played zyn with a midi keyboard and headphones with no
noticeable latency.

The developer admits that PA is not a replacement for Jack and plans to
improve the PA behavior with Jack in the future.  My suggestion for F11 is
leave it installed and write bug reports when PA interferes with Jack.  I
believe that this is the path to a more robust Linux audio system that
includes professional audio applications.

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys