[PlanetCCRMA] real-time optimization

Bozelos Dimitris dbozelos at yahoo.gr
Sun May 24 13:44:35 PDT 2009

hello,

as far as i'm aware the planetccrma rt kernel is meant to be a low latency kernel. But what happens to the cpu? Are there anything that can be done to make the system faster? I'm preparing for a concert that might prove to be quite demanding in the processes involved so I'm thinking of trying some more things

1) turning off unnecessary daemons at runlevel 4, like network-manager, avahi-daemon, anacron and much more that according to their description seem not necessary. Is there any more precise way to know what is actually needed instead of trying disabling them one by one and test if my programs work? I'm usually working with ChucK, SuperCollider, Pd through JACK.

2) load a lighter window manager, I've heard about enlightenment, fluxbox and ratpoison

3) is it any useful to change the priority of processes running and how can this be done?

since it's the first time i'm trying to do so, if anybody has tried any of these or has any other suggestions would be really appreciated.

Dimitris

Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;