[PlanetCCRMA] Pulseaudio and qjackctl

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Wed May 27 11:35:14 PDT 2009

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano:

> On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 15:50 -0600, David Nielson wrote:
>>> Pulse addresses a real problem: how to get regular desktop applications
>>> (including the desktop itself) to cooperate and access a single sound
>>> card in an orderly manner. ALSA won't do it and there are no other
>>> alternatives AFAIK. Jack is not the answer either, it was not designed
>>> to solve that problem. Pulse or something that fills that need is
>>> needed. If somebody wants to design yet another system (and there have
>>> been _many_ tries in the past) then they should go ahead and do it, but
>>> I would strongly suggest that they spend that time in helping with Pulse
>>> development instead.
>> This all seems silly to me; Jack, IMO, has the potential to solve the
>> problems Pulse solves in a much more elegant way, plus the fact that it
>> already has a large installed user-base and is highly developed. All it
>> would take is this:
>>
>> 1. An emulation layer (which I think already exists) so that OSS / ALSA
>> apps can be run through Jack without modification
>
> I think there is or was an ALSA plugin. AFAIK it never worked very
> well.

I hardly made it work either. But the pulseaudio jack sinc
actually seems to manage this perfectly, at least as far as I can
see. By simply doing "yum install pulseaudio-module-jack" and
making sure "load-module module-jack-source" and
"load-module module-jack-sink" is inserted into /etc/pulse/default.pa,
all my alsa programs, except those writing directly to hw:0,
uses jack. Sometimes I manually have to "killall -9 jackdbus"
before starting jack though (have no idea why, I wonder
if this is the thing fons was shouting about on the jack list...),
but it's a small price to pay to avoid having to start and stop
jack all the time.