[PlanetCCRMA] problem on fedora 10, CCRMA, jack and terratec 22

Sat Nov 14 10:48:24 PST 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-14 at 01:58 +0100, linux at gabriel-striewe.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just today started using CCRMA. I installed the distribution
> using your installation notes (installing fedora 10, yum update,
> adding ccrma repo, installing ccrma).
>
> According to lspci, my soundcard is:
>
> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24
> [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)
>
> Now, when I start jack using "jackd -R -dalsa", every few minutes I
> get the error:
>
> ALSA: poll time out, polled for 31999959 usecs
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessAsync: read error, skip cycle
>
> And when in qjackctl I try to connect audio system input to output, it
> doesn't do anything, just in the shell window in which I started jack:
>
> JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 1 port_dst = 3
> JackGraphManager::Connect already connected port_src = 2 port_dst = 4
>
> which seems strange to me, since it doesn't show the connections in
> qjackctl.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards says:
>
> 0 [ICE1724        ]: ICE1724 - ICEnsemble ICE1724
>                       ICEnsemble ICE1724 at 0xe800, irq 17
>
> I hope those error messages can give you a hint about what is
> wrong. If there is any other output I can give you, please help..

Hmmmm, strange. The error message would suggest some sort of ALSA (the
sound driver) problem. Does it happen only once?

What happens if you use different parameters?
  jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0 -p 1024 -n 3

You can also try starting jack from within qjackctl (set the parameters
in the "Setup" tab. Then press the "Start" button and check the messages
in the "Messages" pane. Start a simple jack client like Hydrogen, load
one of the demo patterns and connect the audio outputs in qjackctl to
the system outputs. You might need to tweak input/output levels in
alsamixer (or better yet, in envy24control - but I don't remember if
1724 based cards are supported).