[PlanetCCRMA] Slightly OT: routing sound to the headphone jack on MBP in ALSA

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 05:40:13 PST 2009

Hi,

I have a relatively new MBP 17'' on which I have FC11 installed. The
internal sound card has individual ports for the speakers and the line
out/headphone jack and plugging a jack in the headphone out does not
automatically re-route the audio. For the most part, I'm quite ok with this,
in Jack I just choose whatever ports I want to use. But occasionally I want
an app to route its audio to the headphone jack only. Is there a way to
change the order of the ports in alsa (I'm assuming that if the headphone
out was on port 1/2, something like Flash would route its audio to those
ports by default, but I may be wrong here)? Or does anyone know of another
work around?

Thanks for any hints,

/henrik