[PlanetCCRMA] book on ccrma?

Bruce Elliott belliott4488 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 18 11:56:12 PST 2009

Well, I guess I might have made this more complicated by bringing up the idea of a Planet CCRMA forum, so let me address both:

WIKI: I think this is best for exactly what you describe, i.e. rapidly changing applications and procedures. A static set of documentation - either static web pages or an actual book - is harder to maintain and keep up-to-date.  A wiki would require only a reliable set of members from the community who would collectively make sure that the information stayed up-to-date, each keeping an eye on his own areas of personal expertise.

FORUM: I like forums precisely because of the problem of mixing levels of sophistication on one mailing list.  The forum sites to which I belong (e.g. www.fedoraforum.org) all have many forums for different interests.  I could imagine a forum for beginners, one for installation problems, one for hardware issues, one for developers, another for musicians and producers, etc.  I think it makes it easier for each member to find the information he's looking for, plus there is the historial record so that people can more easily search and find answers to their questions that might have been previously posted.

The disadvantage, of course, is the time that would be needed to maintain either of these sites, especially if the forums were to be moderated.  On the other hand, I've never known how Fernando could keep up with these mailing lists as well as he does, maintain the web pages, and still get his real work done.  I would hope that some of the effort that currently goes into doing those things would be relieved, especially if it could be spread to more members of the community.

- Bruce