[PlanetCCRMA] Trying out Fedora 12

Fri Nov 20 21:17:00 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 21:35 -0700, David Nielson wrote:
> Holy !@#$!!! I thought Yum was slow before, but now it is downright
> insufferable! I told it to install the ugly gstreamer plugins FORTY
> MINUTES AGO and it's still going!! (While I've been waiting, I filed bug
> #539802 against it.)

(maybe connection problems? I did not notice any yum related slowdown in
my very brief test of fc12)

> What I'm really writing about: I installed the kernel-rt from the CCRMA
> repo, and it did not create its own entry in grub.conf; is anyone else
> experiencing this? Did I do something wrong?

Probably not. Did you get any error messages during the rt kernel
install? It should use drakut (new in fc12) to generally to all
housekeeping related to the kernel install (at least that's what I
understand).

I did get errors, but I think those were due to memory problems
(hardware). Today I booted into 12 without problems after changing the
slots the memory was plugged in (I had to do unrelated stuff on that
test machine so I could not do more research into that).

I would try to reinstall. In my case it definitely showed up in grub.

> Does the CCRMA -rt kernel support booting from ext4? I tried booting it
> from the Grub command line and got an error that my / partition couldn't
> be mounted. I'm not sure if I've made a mistake, and I'm too busy
> waiting for !@$% yum to make another attempt.

Sorry about that. The rt kernel build should (I mean it when I say
"should" - not much testing done) support pretty much everything the
stock Fedora kernel does - probably the most problematic area is the
updates to the graphic drivers. The build options are the same, or as
close as they can be. Not all patches in the Koji Fedora kernel I used
as the starting point patch on top of rt, so as in previous rt kernels
at Planet CCRMA those patches are just omitted (_anyone_ that has the
time could do better, of course :-).

Let us know of any errors you find...
Best.