[PlanetCCRMA] Status of FedoraStudio

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 23:10:29 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I spent some time last week to finish modifying the .desktop files of
Fedora's multimedia packages (both Audio and Video). This will bring
two advantages to Fedora/PlanetCCRMA users when Fedora 12 is released:

1- We will have a "multimedia-menus" RPM package in Fedora. By
installing this. your Multimedia/Sound&Video menu will be categorized
nicely.
2- Since I tried to make the .desktop file Category entries compatible
as much as possible with the PlanetCCRMA's menus package, Fedora
packages will likely go to the correct submenu of the PlanetCCRMA
menu.

The goal was to make things easily accessible. Do not hesitate to file
bugs or just bug me with email if there is something wrong. I'm sure
something will be wrong since I went through hundreds of Fedora
packages. Note that there is a multimedia-menus package that is in
F-11's updates-testing. This package is for testing purposes only, as
I didn't modify all the .desktop files in a stable F-11 release
(people will get mad if I do). But with F-12, your menus are gonna
rock!

As usual, suggestions are welcome, since the primary target audience
of the multimedia-menus RPM package is you folks.

There are a few technical details Fernando and other PlanetCCRMA
packagers might want to know:
- One of the categories I used was "X-DigitalProcessing". About half
of my way through Fedora packages, I realized that PlanetCCRMA was
using the convention "X-Digital_Processing". Note the "_". My bad! As
far as I can tell, this is the only incompatibility between Fedora and
PlanetCCRMA. I would be glad if you guys can adjust things on the
PlanetCCRMA side to work this around.
- multimedia-menus package will not bring as many submenus as
planetccrma-menus packages does. People didn't want too many submenus
in Fedora's package. So I "merged" some of the PlanetCCRMA submenus
into single menus in Fedora. (In mathematical language, there is
almost a surjective (onto) but not bijective (one-to-one) map from
PlanetCCRMA submenus to multimedia-menus of Fedora)
- Reference: Complete list of categories I used in multimedia-menus
can be found here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraStudio

Cheers,
Orcan