[PlanetCCRMA] NeuroSky mindset -- it just begs for a Jack audio/midi interface

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 10:56:09 PDT 2010

http://www.neurosky.com/mindset/mindset.html

MindSet for Developers and Consumers

The NeuroSky MindSet headset is our first product available to the public.
It is a brainwave interface headset with medical-grade data acquisition for
research or consumer use. It measures electrical impulses generated by
mental activity, and uses proprietary algorithms to calculate the observed
types of brain behavior. For consumer games and education, The MindSet makes
calculated brainwave levels and interpreted mental states (currently
“attention” and “meditation”) available as digital input for computers,
phones, software, and devices. There are currently over a dozen games and
educational applications available for download on our store. For
sophisticated developers, raw unfiltered brainwave measurements are
available through use of our SDK. In all cases, the data is fed to the
computer via wireless Bluetooth and includes both audio and voice support
for MP3 and VoIP.

Looks like a PD interface has already been made:
http://github.com/qdot/np_mindset/blob/master/README.txt

np_mindset is an external for either Max/MSP or Puredata to receive
> information from the Neurosky Mindset.

Portability of source between Max and Pd is available thanks to flext (
> http://www.parasitaere-kapazitaeten.net/ext/flext/ )

Some other interesting links:
http://developer.neurosky.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11 ( Control of
Lighting Systems with MindSet )
http://developer.neurosky.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17 ( Python
ThinkGear parser )

In terms of broad access to an unlimited range of apps, it makes sense to
interface the neurosky SDK
<http://www.neurosky.com/mindset/devtools.html>at the Jack level.
Architecturally, one way of segmenting such an
application would be to interface the C++ SDK into a Qt-based client like
http://qmidictl.sourceforge.net/qmidictl-index.html (multicasting brainwaves
over the net via ipMIDI) and then use
http://qmidinet.sourceforge.net/qmidinet-index.html to hook into Jack.

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS: neurosky should consider funding or enabling development of such
open-source tools for Linux.