[PlanetCCRMA] [Fedora-music-list] new packages in Fedora updates-testing (2010-04-10)

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 18:12:55 PDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Niels Mayer wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Orcan Ogetbil
> wrote:
>>
>> The issue is, it takes time to get packages reviewed since there are
>> about 700 review requests pending. If we had 2 people on Fedora (1
>> will package, 1 will review) then things would go faster. But as 1
>> person, I am packaging stuff and waiting some external person to take
>> time to review the package. a2jmidi, for instance, I submitted it for
>> review months ago and nobody looked at it yet.
>
> I'd be willing to do the "review" part, and could eventually apprentice on
> writing appropriately compliant fedora RPM specs.

Great. To join, basically you need to come up with a new package, then
prove that you understand the Fedora guidelines during your package
review and get sponsored in Fedora.

The process is described in detail, with all the relevant links at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join

The rule is, your first package needs to be reviewed by a sponsor.
Unfortunately, I am not a sponsor, so I can't help with that. (maybe
it's time for me to apply for sponsorship. oh well...)

Do you see the difficulty here? Your first package will have to go
into a pool of 700 packages, and hopefully a sponsor will find it
interesting for a review. But once that is done, everything will go
easier. It took me ~2 weeks to get sponsored but I know people for
whom it took months.

> a2jmidi -- i was going to look into it back when i thought i'd be using
> firewire... didn't bother now that midi. is under control.
> (Are there any advantages to using a2jmidi and turning off the 'seq'  driver
> in qjackctl/jackd when using the alsa back-end? Other than having the same
> config for audio setups using either alsa or ffado/freebob ...)

Frankly, I don't know the answer. I packaged it per user request.
Maybe the actual users will shed us some light.

Cheers,
Orcan