[PlanetCCRMA] Fwd: Installing Google Voice Chat for Linux on Fedora instead of Debian

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:55:20 PDT 2010

Thanks for the detailed process. A minor addition for convenience:

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Niels Mayer wrote:
> Linux installation doesn't distinguish between Fedora/OpenSUSE and
> Debian/Ubuntu linux systems, so you get a download for the wrong distro:
> -rw-r--r--  1 npm  npm     6926676 2010-08-25 15:47
> google-talkplugin_current_amd64.deb
> Which can be unpacked via ark(1) or file-roller(1) and  contains a file
> data.tar.gz

If you do
# yum install deco dpkg
you can extract your file via
$ deco google-talkplugin_current_amd64.deb

In fact, deco can extract pretty much anything from .xz, .tar.bz2,
.rpm, ... to .deb. It is actually a wrapper application for other
extractors, so you don't have to memorize their syntax.
I find it useful and just wanted to share.

Cheers,
Orcan